Sunday, June 27, 2010

Breaking Old Habits with New Phones




















I have a tendency to hold things that I care about close, too close.   I am afraid I will lose them, ruin them, or have them stolen.  When I was a kid I would buy a new shirt, shoes, socks, but would refuse to wear them, sometimes for weeks. My best friend would wear her new purchases out of the store, sharing them with anyone she encountered.  What I realized when I finally did put on those new Converse high tops many weeks later, was that 1. they some how lost their allure of being new and 2. they got dirty the minute I stepped outside anyway.  And when a little dirt got on those shoes they became even more special, they were marked by me, by my experiences. So many years later, I learn that lesson again and again as I hold things that I love so tightly that I forget to enjoy them when they are present.   I want to break this habit and share a few intimate moments that reminded me why I fell in love, why the city is a wonderful place to live, and what a summer night is meant for. 

(Ode to the iphone, all of these images were taken with the new iphone)





No comments:

Post a Comment